Monday, February 28, 2011

Man Will Be Filled With the Spirit


Jeremiah prophesied of a time when “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts (Jer. 31:33).” Hebrews 10:15-16 says, “The Holy Spirit testified to us about this. First he says, ‘This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds’.” John testifies of the Jesus who walked on the earth in the power of the Holy Spirit. In John 14:12 Jesus says, “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.” John 14:25 says, “All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” The Synoptics are evidence of what God has promised. The Holy Spirit reminds us of his works daily. The ministry of the Holy Spirit in the book of John is fulfilling the prophecy of Jeremiah. The total fulfillment came on the day of Pentecost. John is teaching of the ministry of the Holy Spirit in the life of Jesus so that we may know the kind of power that is accessible to us.

The Holy Spirit will indwell us and give us power to preach the Gospel to the very ends of the earth.13 Acts 1:8 says, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you . . .” to be his witnesses. Was Jesus only talking to the apostles when he said these words? Of course not! If he was, why have we bothered to include them in the inspired Word of God? If all of his Word is not applicable to today why read any of it? There are those who say there are Scriptures that we do not apply today. For example, we do not put adulterers to death in twenty-first century America. Therefore, all of the Word of God is not in effect today. However, the same ones who use this argument try to use the argument that the Old Testament is no longer valid since the dispensation of grace in Jesus Christ. In addition, one might argue that the Bible is specific when it says that unrepentant adulterers shall be put to death on the Day of Judgment. Therefore, what has been said in the Old Testament is still valid in the New Testament. There are many other arguments that try to explain away the power God has promised to those who believe. Nevertheless, we are told that we will possess power that the world does not possess if we follow Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment